Monday, July 9, 2012

Burrowing Bees, Who knew?

Burrowing Bees,  Who knew?
Brigitte and I were doing some photography near Bodega Bay this weekend.  As usual Brigitte found a bird to photograph, and I split off to do some seascapes.  I headed down the hill from the parking lot toward the beach when I immediately noticed several Bumble Bees flying around a very large outcropping of packed dry sand.
I took a closer look to find that the bees were actually burrowing into the hillside, and making elaborate dens to nest in.  I sat there just observing for about 30 minutes....no photos, just observing.  Passers-by were oblivious to the bees, and in fact they climbed right over the hillside destroying several nests.  I went back to the car to get my macro lens, then returned to document the scene.

Image 1st image shows the finished nests, and images 2 & 3  show the bees with their nests.

www.captivatingphotos.net



No comments:

Post a Comment