Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Charred Remains

Charred Remains:  I had a meeting today in Vallejo, Ca.  Since there was a lot of driving involved, I took my camera with me.  After the meeting I decided to explore the area.  My travels took be over the bridge to Mare Island, the former Navel Base.  I drove all over the facility looking at all of the cool spots for future photography,  and then headed out a different way than I came in.  As I reached the outer edge of Mare Island I saw smoke.  I stopped at what looked like a building that had just been bombed, and the wreckage was still smoldering.  I must have just missed the fire department because there were still flames in some spots.  I grabbed my camera an explored the site for about an hour walking through the twisted & charred remains.  I could feel the heat rising up from the ground, and the scene reminded me of the lava flows on the Island of Hawaii.  It was an old warehouse about the size of two football fields, built in a time when they used real wood and heavy beams.  I was very dramatic and humbling to walk through.

No comments:

Post a Comment