Saturday, February 18, 2012

Setting up the shot

Setting up the shot:
I have done several assignments for the same client,  a surgical clinic in the Bay Area.  For months they have wanted me to shoot a large group shot for their website, but getting their staff together was always a big challenge.  Finally this week they had an opportunity.  They informed me that I needed to shoot a group shot of 35 people in a small area, and it had to be edited as a panorama. Oh! by the way I had to do it in 15 minutes or less.
So here is how I pulled it off:  I shot it with my Canon 1D mark 3, with a 17-40mm lens opened up to 17mm.
I took combined light meter readings at my desired depth of F8 which I new would give me the depth of field needed to get everyone clear.  I shot with the camera tethered to a laptop so I could view it on a larger screen to be sure it was clear.
I had my assistant Ivan watching the screen and the group to make sure everyone was visible and properly spaced.
For lighting I used my Canon 580ex off camera at full power and bounced the flash off of a 54" white defuser.  I pretested this lighting set up, and new it was the best choice for the situation.



See more images at: www.captivatingphotos.net

No comments:

Post a Comment